HIPAA should just be an option under “About” (same with all 3 Compliance pages).
According to the Compliancy Group, the 2020 Total HIPAA Fines have already totaled over 12 Million dollars. A HIPAA violation can cost medical practices hefty fines for noncompliance. At ACP Billing Services, we take HIPAA Compliance seriously.
WHAT IS HIPAA?
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, also known as HIPAA. Is a set of regulatory standards that outline the lawful use and and disclosure or affects the privacy and security of Protected Health Information (PHI) and ePHI (electronic PHI)
WHY YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HIPAA.
- HIPAA is federal law. It requires all health personnel to be educated about HIPAA policies and procedures. It includes anyone who does or might have access to any PHI.
- HIPAA laws exist to protect the privacy of anyone receiving any kind of medical care or assistance. These laws are strict and if all members of your practice are unaware of their restrictions, it can result in consequences such as fines or even criminal charges.
- HIPAA is designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the healthcare system by standardizing the electronic data for specified administrative and financial transactions, while protecting the security and confidentiality of that information.
- HIPAA compliance is regulated by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and enforced by the Office of Civil Rights (OCR).
- The HHS office of Inspector General (OIG) created the Seven Elements of an Effective Compliance Program to give guidance to organizations on their compliance programs.